Facts & Figures
Ten facts about Lucy Cavendish College which will surprise you
1. We are the only mature women's college in the country - It is no exaggeration to say that we lead the way in education for women over 21 within the University of Cambridge.
2. The College was founded over dinner one evening - The Founding Fellows were all members of the 22-strong Dining Group; they wanted to improve both the numbers and the status of female students and academics.
3. We are mind-altering - As our alumnae will testify, Lucy Cavendish College changes the way you think, which has an impact on how you live your life, and changes your priorities.
4. Our success stories are so amazing, people don't believe them - Hotel cleaner to lawyer; Marketing consultant to psychologist; NHS worker to transplant doctor; we have transformed the lives of so many women.
5. We have an 85% success rate in terms of undergraduate expectations - Research has proven that the vast majority of students think that Lucy Cavendish College either met or exceeded their expectations. This figure is extremely high.
6. Our oldest student is older than the College - Our students range from women in their 20s to women in their 60s. 20% of our students are over 40.
7. If there's one subject we're strong at, it's eight - Students cover all the courses on offer at the University of Cambridge but Lucy Cavendish College is particularly strong in medicine and veterinary studies, science, maths, engineering, humanities, social sciences and English Literature.
8. Nobody understands women as we do - This college is unique in the UK and we have the most diverse range of skills, knowledge and experience of any mature college in the country.
9. Our President would be one of our best ever students - Professor Janet Todd, the current and seventh President of the College is an internationally-renowned scholar of early women writers and the author of many critical works; with a particular expertise in the works of Jane Austen.
10. We celebrate women's creativity and we have our own festival - Women's Word is the annual festival that celebrates women's experiences. It covers literature, ideas and politics and runs workshops on writing and publishing.