The Porters' Lodge (or 'Plodge') is the "front door" to Lucy Cavendish College, Porters are on duty to answer any queries you may have about the College, as well as handling security / maintenance issues. Please also visit the Porters' Lodge if you would like to borrow the College bicycles, or have any other queries about cycle / car parking in the College grounds.
The porters also sort the mail on its arrival in College and usually leave all students' mail in their named pigeonholes just outside the Porter's Lodge. The only exception to this are either mail that has to be signed for or parcels which are too large to fit in the pigeonholes in which cases the Porters will leave a note in the relevant pigeonhole and the items can then be collected from the Lodge.
The Porters' Lodge is the place to do the following things:
- Sign the Exeat Book (must be done at the beginning and end of each term)
- Collect room keys and University ID card / temporary College swipe cards
- Collect letters and parcels from student pigeonholes
- Buy stamps, obtain change for washing / drying machines
- Pay bills (but we prefer you to pay online via your Formal Hall account)
- Buy Lucy Cavendish College memorabilia (e.g. t-shirts, mugs etc.)
- Borrow the College bikes
Porters are on duty from 8.00am - 1.00am Mondays to Fridays, and from 8.00am to Midnight on Saturdays and Sundays. Outside these hours there is an on-call duty officer, contact telephone number on the Lodge door (768959) and on the Lodge answerphone (332190).
Please note: If there is a real emergency and you cannot immediately get help within the College please contact the University Security Control Centre. Their 24-hour emergency contact numbers are 331818, or 101 on the University telephone network. When you call please explain where you are calling from and what your problem is.