Bursaries & Awards
All students will have provided either a Financial Guarantee to the College or a Financial Undertaking to the Board of Graduate Studies. Grants and Studentships may be awarded to supplement the Financial Guarantee or Financial Undertaking but will not be sufficient to replace such guarantees or undertakings. Eligibility for these awards is restricted to current Lucy Cavendish students only.
Cambridge University Student Support
There are two Cambridge University student support packages that are also worth exploring if you are looking for additional financial support: The Cambridge Bursary Scheme and the National Scholarships Programme. These are the main support schemes offered by the Collegiate University, and are both uniform schemes which give a set level of financial assistance to all students on a given household income or other criteria. These two schemes are part-sponsored by Colleges and some College bursaries are processed through these uniform schemes.
College Grants are awarded annually, and all resident students in financial need are eligible to apply. The closing date for applications to be submitted by email to Sarah Thomas (email@example.com) is 30 June each year. Before applying you must discuss your application with your College Tutor who may advise you to consult the Bursary.
College Grant Application Form (MS Word)
College Grants (Emergency Shortfall)
In addition to the College Grants above, small sums may also be available to help students with unexpected financial difficulties. Students should approach their Tutor as soon as a problem arises.
Travel, research, conferences, medical and veterinary electives
Small research grants are available once per term for travel, research, conferences, and medical and veterinary electives, for students who are 'in residence'. Students will be notified termly by email of the deadline for application by our Tutorial Administrator, Sarah Thomas. The deadlines for each term, which may be subject to change, will usually be: Michaelmas - last week of October, Lent - last week of January, Easter -first week in May. Please read the termly notification email carefully for the exact deadline for application when you receive it. Applications and references must be submitted by EMAIL ONLY to Sarah Thomas at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Guidelines and information for completing these applications:
- Requests must fit into student undergraduate or graduate work and must be reasonable projects supported by the supervisor
- Applicants must seek funding from all other available sources.
- The College does not fund students' trips home. The College may contribute to Conference registration fees etc. in a student's home country.
- The College is mindful that the University, through the Board of Graduate Studies and the Graduate Tutors' Committee, has specified that MPhils are generally taught courses and should not require expensive research trips. Requests for funding for MPhil field trips for taught MPhils will not be supported. The College may fund modest requests for reasonable research projects for MPhils by research.
- The College is fully aware of the financial need of self-funding Vets seeing practice and of the need for medical students to undertake medical electives. However, owing to the demand on limited funds, Vets are unlikely to be awarded more than £450 per academic year; while medical students are unlikely to be awarded more than £500 for an elective.