What does it cost to be a Visiting Student?

Erasmus Students do not pay tuition fees to the University, and are not personally liable for the College Fee. Fees for other Visiting Students are the same as those for non-visiting students, and vary according to subject and residency status: more information can be found on our Undergraduate Finance pages and our Postgraduate Finance pages. All Visiting Students, other than Erasmus Students, pay College Fees themselves.

What subjects can I study?

Erasmus Students are limited to the subjects covered by their home institution’s agreement with the University of Cambridge. Other Visiting Undergraduate Students may apply to study any subject except Architecture, Medicine or Veterinary Medicine; for details see individual Subject pages. We will also consider all Visiting Postgraduate Students accepted by a Department or Faculty.

What papers can I take?

Cambridge uses the word ‘Tripos’ to distinguish between different undergraduate subject areas. A student of History will be reading for the Historical Tripos, whilst a student of Mathematics will be reading for the Mathematical Tripos. Each Tripos is divided into two parts - Part I, which is broad-based, and Part II, which allows specialization within the student's chosen field - though the balance varies from subject to subject. We usually admit Visiting Students to study the second year of the relevant Tripos, often termed Part IB or Part IIA. Details of second-year papers can be found by following the Department and Faculty links given on our Subject pages. Timetabling constraints mean that it is not ordinarily possible to mix and match papers from different Parts of Tripos in the Sciences. There may be more flexibility in the Arts.

Can I attend lectures in other subjects?

We will formally register you only for one subject, and you will generally receive supervisions in a single Part of Tripos (see above). However, you are free to attend lectures in any other subject, if your timetable permits.

Do you interview prospective Visiting Students?

We routinely interview applicants wishing to study Economics. We will also interview some applicants in other subjects in order to determine the best ‘fit’ between their interests and our undergraduate courses. All interviews are conducted by Skype, and none lasts more than half an hour. A few applicants may be asked to submit examples of written work.

What academic standard do you expect?

An indication of the academic standard expected for entrance to Cambridge as an undergraduate can be found on the University's International Requirements page. We will show some flexibility towards applicants holding school-leaving qualifications at a lower standard, if they have an excellent track record on their current degree programme. We do not consider US-based applicants with a cumulative GPA below 3.7.

Are there English Language requirements?

Visiting Students applying from outside of the EU who are not native speakers of English are asked to offer one of the qualifications listed on the Cambridge website here at application.  Visiting Students with EU residency who are made an offer for Visiting Student status may be asked to provide evidence of English language as part of their conditions of offer.  The University Language Centre offers an online English assessment which is compulsory for prospective Erasmus applicants who do not already hold one of the qualifications via the link above, and which can also be made available to Visiting Student offer-holders from the EU.

What about support with English, after I arrive?

The University Language Centre offers a support programme in English for Academic Purposes, consisting of focussed two-hour workshops and individual supervisions with an EAP supervisor. Students may opt to take this programme in addition to their other courses (in which case, a supplementary fee of £250 is levied). Alternatively, they may use it to replace a course in their chosen subject. Students can also arrange to work on written English with the College’s Royal Literary Fund Fellow.

Do you offer ECTS credits?

The University of Cambridge does not currently operate the ECTS credit system. All Visiting Students do, however, receive a transcript at the end of their stay showing the courses they have studied, including any exam results, and the ECTS equivalent. As an approximation, one term studying full time at Cambridge is equivalent to 20 ECTS credits.

Where will I live?

Visiting Students live in College accommodation and are offered the same choice of rooms and rent bands as incoming undergraduates and postgraduates.

Will I really be part of the College community?

We consider Visiting Students to be full members of Lucy Cavendish, and they have exactly the same rights and privileges as all other students. Our Visiting Students live, socialise and study side-by-side with ‘regular’ undergraduates and postgraduates, from the start of their induction programme in October, through to the end-of-year Garden Party in June. And when they leave, they are as much a part of our Alumnae network as any other College member.